Thursday, April 13, 2006
How did you let the time get away from me so fast? Here I had planned to unveil today my map of all the establishments near my home, work, and church that serve fountain Coke. This public service will now have to be delayed so that I may answer the question that has been burning in your brain since late in November when I first raised it.
Upon which day was Jesus crucified? Why of course on Friday, you say. Ah, but which Friday? And don't cop out with Good Friday. Well, I don't have the time to spell out all the research, but you all are thinking people with access to the internet, so I'll let you sleuth this one out. Some data points from the Bible:
- On which day would it make the most prophetic sense for Jesus to be sacrificed? (Lookup)
- What does the Bible say about when the Passover should be celebrated? (Lookup)
- What was the sign of Jonah? How long was Jesus to spend in the grave? (Lookup)
- At what time of the day was Jesus put into the tomb? (Lookup)
- At what time of the day did he raise from the dead and leave the tomb? (Lookup)
- Account for all the days of the week starting from Jesus' entry into Jerusalem. (Lookup)
Some historical facts to consider:
- What were the dates of tenure for Pontius Pilate?
- How did Jewish people count time?
I think you'll find that when you connect all the dots, you will start to see a picture form that does not resemble our modern commemoration of the crucifixion on a Friday. I think you'll find that not once in the years that Pontius Pilate governed did the Passover fall on a Friday. Instead, I think you'll find it's consistent with Scripture and history that Jesus entered Jerusalem to identify Himself as the fulfillment of Zechariah's prophecy on Sunday, the 10th of Nisan, that his disciples celebrated the day of Preparation on Wednesday, and that He was crucified and died at 3:00 Thursday afternoon, the 14th of Nisan, just as the High Priest sacrificed the Passover Lamb. Jesus was buried before sundown, thus was in the grave for 3 days and 3 nights (Thursday, Friday, Saturday) and rose before dawn on Sunday morning.
Links to this post
Will it relect both diet and non-diet? What about root-beer? Orange soda? And you certainly won't forget Mr. Pibb, I hope ...
Then there's the whole caffine-free part too ...